'Tell me one that you liked.’
‘I liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,’ Matilda said. ‘I think Mr C. S. Lewis is a very good writer. But he has one failing. There are no funny bits in his books.’
‘You are right there,’ Miss Honey said.
‘There aren’t many funny bits in Mr Tolkien either,’ Matilda said.
‘Do you think that all children’s books ought to have funny bits in them?’ Miss Honey asked.
‘I do,’ Matilda said. ‘Children are not so serious as grown-ups and love to laugh.’
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Happy Roald Dahl Day! He, more than any other author, made a very young Alex want to grow up and write children’s books. I’m grateful for his imagination and skill every day.
- illusemywords likes this
- desbaisersnoirssouslamer reblogged this from alexbracken
- morganfeighton reblogged this from alexbracken
- neverlandishness likes this
- keebiekneebiez reblogged this from keebiekneebiez
- yes-thank-you-weatherby likes this
- mysummergirl16 likes this
- thesmileonyourface reblogged this from alexbracken
- crushedpapercups reblogged this from alexbracken
- alexbracken posted this